Saturday 15 October 2016

Mastering the Art of Student Cooking...(Part I)

If we are not thinking (or talking) about our research topics, I would reckon us postgraduates are instead talking about food - where it is, how much it is, and, sometimes, how to make it.  Food is an important part of student life, particularly for us PhD's; aside from (quite often restless) sleep, it is the sustenance that keeps the cogs of our brains turning.

As an American traveller, there has never been much room to haul along all the goodies and appliances from home.  In my 9-month Masters last year, I rather haphazardly acquired the random plates, pots and pans required to boil noodles and microwave rice (alternating between soy-saucy carb or Italian seasoned carb).  On the occasion, I attempted to gather some of my cohorts for a pot-luck, innovating with what was to be had on hand.  Though at times a tad frustrating and nerve-wracking, I found the challenge quite fun and promised, if I were to start my doctorate in England, I would collect a wider array of kitchen accoutrements and devote myself to not only eating healthier, but also to enjoy cooking for myself as much as I love cooking at home for my family with all my mom's gadgets and spices.  


So, conjuring up images of the magnificent Julia Child in Paris (and the film I very much enjoy), I left my extra pair of heels behind and threw a frying pan in my suitcase last summer. Though I have been eating out more than I would like to admit (and heated one too many Uncle Ben's packs for my liking), that frying pan has already undergone quite a bit of use! I have dared to cook chicken on my own, something I have feared to attempt.


Yes, a small thing - no boeuf bourguignon for sure! - but I will count it as a small early victory on this cooking venture.  And I hope, as a part of this blog, I might add a few installations to diary the humble discoveries and turmoils of my journey so perhaps others may take courage to take up a pan during this long stretch of study.  For now, I shall add a few links to cooks I have found inspiring (first and foremost, my mom - who else!):


Some of my mom's delicious recipes from the farm back home - the best!

Always loved watching Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook show

And the lovely Italian couple, Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos, in their show Extra Virgin

No comments:

Post a Comment