Monday 31 October 2016

Am I an Art Historian yet?

A month into the PhD process, I thought it might be a good idea to reflect on how it's gone so far. What have I done? What have I achieved? Well. I've done a lot of reading. And I mean a LOT of reading. I've started my Italian for Art Historians course. I've started to audit undergraduate lecture series and attend departmental research seminars and other  events.  I've met some absolutely astounding people with whom I've had challenging and stimulating interactions. This is all amazing, right? Right?

Except it's also really tough. Coming from a historical background and almost falling into History of Art through a series of extremely happy accidents means that I have a lot of catching up to do. Everyone seems to know exactly what their thesis is because they've spent their academic career working up to this point. I wrote my undergraduate and masters dissertations on early modern English witchcraft and have now made a huge leap of faith into Italian domestic interiors because I loved it so much when I chanced upon an MA module on the subject. They're already going on research trips because they have the necessary language skills and knowledge about their source material. I can barely say 'Buongiorno, mi chiamo Hannah' and I'm expecting to be able to go off and get to grips with Florentine archives. Art historical theory is second nature to them because they have been immersed in it from the beginning of their undergraduate degrees and I'm struggling with working out what an object actually is.

So why am I even bothering? How can I even begin to call myself an art historian given all of the above gaps in my knowledge and skills base? These are questions that I've asked myself on numerous occasions over the last couple of weeks, and it turns out that they are not  particularly helpful ones and neither is comparing myself to those around me. I have, however, come up with some tentative answers.

I am bothering because I love it. I fell in  love with Italian cultural history during my undergraduate degree and then with domestic interiors during my MA. I jumped when this project was offered to me and taking the chance to do this PhD was the best choice I ever made. Yes, I might have to work a little harder than others, I might have to attend undergraduate lectures to get my knowledge  base up to scratch and I might have to wait a little while to go on a real research trip. But you know what? That's fine. A little hard graft never killed anybody and this is really making me appreciate the achievements I am making: the other day I looked at some potential source material in Italian and it didn't completely baffle me. I'll take that. The support that the department is providing to get me up to speed is absolutely wonderful and already it's working wonders. I need to stop seeing my interdisciplinary background as a disadvantage - it has given me so many skills that I'm constantly applying and has brought me to this point in my academic career.


As for whether or not I'm an art historian yet... the answer is a resounding no. But that's fine too. I recall that during our first meeting as a cohort of PhD students Amanda Lille, my supervisor and Chair of Graduate Studies for the department said that she didn't feel like she had found her voice as an Art Historian (with capital letters) until well into her academic career. These words fill me with hope and optimism and I will certainly be making more of an effort to carry them with me in future. So in the meantime, I'm happy to say that I am not an art historian... yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment