Sunday 16 July 2017

Conferences and Cathedrals, Seminars and Seminaries: Edinburgh and Durham

Over the past few months, conference presentations have allowed me not only to explore my work further, but to explore the cities of Edinburgh and Durham as well.

Several months ago, I kicked off a weekend in Edinburgh by giving a presentation at the university's Humanities Nineteenth Century Research Seminars, giving my essay alongside a paper on Ralph Waldo Emerson.  Presenting on a panel always stimulates me to make interesting connections - ones I wouldn't have expected to make - and that day I was fascinated to learn more about Emerson's poetics (which I have always loved), and to see the potential to analyse the theological elements of his expression, as both similar and vastly different from Burne-Jones's own poetical use of theology.

The remainder of the weekend was spent wandering up and down the blustery streets of the darkly towered city, never far from sleepy graveyards or chiming cathedral bells.



Surprise! Even found a Burne-Jones window!! 




A few weeks ago, I was thrilled by the opportunity to present at an extensive 3-day international conference on Catholicism and the Arts at Durham.  Set in the scenic colleges in and outside Durham - first within the city, at St. Chad's, and then a short morning jaunt on the bus to the ancient Ushaw College, a former seminary - it was the perfect place to present and hear about the dynamic intertwining of the arts and Catholicism, from 1850 through to today!  Headlining speakers included renowned Cambridge historian Eamon Duffy; Melanie McDonagh, a writer from the London Evening Standard; and the Irish Ambassador, Dan Mulhall.  Anna, a fellow University of York PhD in English Literature presenting on the poet David Jones, served as an excellent reminder that conferences are always more fun with friends!

Arriving at Ushaw College the second day of the conference.

The gorgeous Refectory, where the main conference dinner was served at the end of the second day. 

'The Professor's Parlour' - where I presented!

The Exhibition Hall


Uni of York girls have more fun! 

Never be afraid to set off and present at a conference: it is an integral part of graduate and post-graduate life.  I have been so grateful for all the suggestions I have received on my own research when I have presented, all the contacts I have made, and for the diversity of topics I have heard of when I have just attended or listened to other speakers! With these conferences in the books, I can only wonder where the next one could take me...!

1 comment: