Wednesday 7 June 2017

A busy couple of weeks in the life of a History of Art PhD student…

It’s been a bit of a mad couple of weeks for me, as I’ve been attending conferences and workshops left, right and centre and getting my submissions sorted for approaching deadlines.

As the summer term draws to a close, us first-year PhD students have some pretty major deadlines to meet. We’re all in the midst of our final Thesis Advisory Panel meetings for the year and generating our material to submit for progression to the second year. On top of this, I’ve been putting together funding applications for another research trip to Florence. With all this going on, it would be so easy to get bogged down in paperwork and panic…. But thankfully, there is plenty going on to help us through this potentially stressful time.

Perhaps one of the best things about being a PhD student is being able to get to conferences and workshops and network with like-minded scholars. I’ve been privileged over the last two weeks to attend several such events that were not only useful and fascinating in their own right but have also helped me to clarify some of my approaches to my own research.

The first of these was a lecture by Justin Underhill from Berkeley about on ‘What Turns Pictures On.’ This was part of a wider departmental event, the York Summer Theory Institute that, by all accounts, was a great success. Underhill uses technology in amazing and innovative ways to recreate the settings within which works of art were experienced in the past, and is even branching out into the creation of soundscapes. With my research centring on trying to access the world of the early modern Italian domestic interior, this was hugely thought provoking and really brought home the potential for extending such a project beyond the scope of my thesis.

The end of last week featured a WRoCAH –sponsored conference in Sheffield on ‘Habitual Behaviour in the Early Modern World.’ Wonderfully organised by three PhD students from the Universities of Leeds, Sheffield and York, the conference spanned two days and featured a whole host of brilliant papers, including keynotes from Sasha Handley (The University of Manchester) and Steven Shapin (Harvard University), all of which were frankly inspiring. Even those far outside my remit, including papers on gambling in seventeenth-century Dutch comedy and the tobacco market in early modern England, were really entertaining.

Finally, on Monday of this week I attended a workshop here at the University of York on architectural drawings and models. It was great to get the chance to have a think about the implications of the planning process on the eventual outcome buildings and to hear a paper on my very own Palazzo Strozzi from the wonderful Amanda Lillie (The University of York). This was followed by a research seminar led by Mauro Mussolin (Metropolitan Museum of Art) on ‘Michelangelo and Paper as Palimpsest,’ where he explored the potential for exploring use and re-use of paper in the work of this most famous of artists, digging through layers of drawing and writing and piecing together paper fragments in an almost archaeological way. Fantastic!


I think it’s safe to say that I am currently feeling well and truly edified. My mind is full of interesting and exciting new ideas that I can’t wait to start bringing to my research and I’m looking forward to continuing conversation with all the amazing people I’ve met over the course of this whirlwind couple of weeks. Maybe things will calm down a bit now….. Oh no wait…. York Festival of Ideas starts this week….

No comments:

Post a Comment