Friday 11 November 2016

Archival Adventures: Oh, the places you will go...

Archival work is among my favourite parts of research as a graduate student.  After spending long hours labouring over your texts in the library, the proximity of your materials, directly in your hands, will never cease to excite and refresh your research venture.  Along with conference presentations, it is also one of those activities that can take you incredible places in the world. (Read about fellow blogger Adam's recent trip here.)   As I expand my materials in the doctorate, my 'to-go' list is growing as I add more and more cathedrals and galleries to the archival 'haunts' of years past. 

Although I am only in my first term of my long venture, I was eager to return to the drawings, designs and sketchbooks that feature centrally in my thesis.  Train tickets ordered, bags packed and pencils sharpened, I returned to my quest for Burne-Jones material and any adventure that might ensue!    
In my happy place...

Last month I took an extended 'southern tour' through the endless abundance of London and Oxford. The trip to the Victoria&Albert Museum Prints and Drawings Room is always memorable - not only do they possess significant Burne-Jones sketchbooks for my work, but a visit includes a winding (unofficial) 'tour' through all the 'behind-the-scenes' workings of the massive museum since the traditional entry to the prints and drawings room is under construction. I will never cease to peek in the bulging cabinets and shelves in this backstage world where unseen treasures are secreted away for future organisation and use. 

Oxford is always a joy to return to: it's great 'dreaming spires' guard the infinite books and scholarship entrusted to it over the centuries.  I never was able to see all the libraries during my 9-month Masters there, but the old Bodleian, aromatic, ambient and medieval, is a humbling enough experience for any devout lover of the book.  



   
Excited to begin my day of work with books in the beautiful Oxford Radcliffe Camera.
For my archival research, I venture over to the Ashmolean Museum, the oldest public museum in the world.  
Here I spread out and settle in: I find the Ashmolean Print Room to be among the friendliest and most resourceful archives I have been to thus far.  They actually possess the largest collection of Raphael drawings in the world, and most amazingly, are open to the public! (Appointments recommended.) 
Burne-Jones Orpheus designs for the Graham Piano. His delicacy of touch is incredible - something to truly see in person.

 And research is always fun whenever the subject of my study, Burne-Jones, is involved. Despite the 'melancholy' of many of his monumental works, the abundant caricatures in archives across England show his other side and never cease to make me laugh...







And, at the end of the day, a pint is the most appropriate way to celebrate the success of your research 'quest!'





No comments:

Post a Comment